Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chirping Chieftaint
01-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Chirping Chieftaint
Ok I would like very much to get to the bottom of the issue of the disturbing, embarrassing and worrying loud chirp that is comming from the aft of my 2014 Chieftaint! I see where others have had the same issue. The awesome folks at Gregory Polaris replaced my rear tire 150 miles ago and tightened my belt, I asked about the (chirp) was told to keep washing the brake dust off with Dawn DW detergent. I wash her butt good before every ride, and without fail (chirp) returns. Is ANYONE else experiencing this issue? This is very frustrating!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2015, 11:06 AM
RE: Chirping Chieftaint
(01-20-2015 10:58 AM)Blain Houser Wrote:  Ok I would like very much to get to the bottom of the issue of the disturbing, embarrassing and worrying loud chirp that is comming from the aft of my 2014 Chieftaint! I see where others have had the same issue. The awesome folks at Gregory Polaris replaced my rear tire 150 miles ago and tightened my belt, I asked about the (chirp) was told to keep washing the brake dust off with Dawn DW detergent. I wash her butt good before every ride, and without fail (chirp) returns. Is ANYONE else experiencing this issue? This is very frustrating!

I am .. had the local dealer look at it .. they even test rode it.. happens to me when I'm putting along at about 2200 RPMs ...

They basically told me " didn't hear it.. didn't throw a code" .. lol
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Might check the wear on the rear pulley. Pay close attention to the sides of the pulley.
The rear pulley on the Gilroys ended up being too soft and would wear down the sides.
01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
didn't have any noise this summer, 5500 miles....got the replacement Chieftain (wreck) and it is there....now it also was in conjunction with the cold weather, bike is at dealership right now for 500 mile service, I will let you know how it comes out
01-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Don't know if the sound I'm hearing is the same or not. Almost like a ticking sound. I thinks its maybe a loose baffle inside the pipes, dunno??

Chris Lee
US Army Vet '83-'91
2014 Indian Vintage
01-24-2015, 10:16 AM
When I had belt drive, I was spraying some Lps3 on the belt everyonce in awhile and that would make it go away
01-28-2015, 02:18 PM
(01-20-2015 04:54 PM)KC Cheef Wrote:  Might check the wear on the rear pulley. Pay close attention to the sides of the pulley.
The rear pulley on the Gilroys ended up being too soft and would wear down the sides.

Or the belt was to hard.
01-28-2015, 04:04 PM
So did Gregory get you fixed up Blaine?
01-28-2015, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2015 07:08 PM by KC Cheef.)
(01-28-2015 02:18 PM)Charles Kelly Wrote:  
(01-20-2015 04:54 PM)KC Cheef Wrote:  Might check the wear on the rear pulley. Pay close attention to the sides of the pulley.

Or the belt was to hard.
I believe it was a combination. I had the pulley strip out and completely clean the belt in about a 200 mile ride. Checked it before I left and 200 miles later the belt teeth were gone and you could have cut fish on the pulley teeth. Went to a chain.
It was a bad time for it to fail. I was headed up to see 1BigDogg right before he passed with cancer. Never got there and never got to see him alive again. That boy was an Indian Legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KC Cheef's post:
rockarosa (01-29-2015)
02-02-2015, 11:56 AM
The great folks at Gregory Polaris have successfully removed the ( chirp) from my bike! All is right ! Didn't get a chance to speak with the mechanical genius that solved the issue so I can't pass on the fix. All I can say is it was fixed and I can't say enough about how impressed I've been with the overall experience I've had with Gregory Polaris!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blain Houser's post:
rockarosa (02-18-2015)